Pain With Intercourse (Dyspareunia)
Pain with intercourse (dyspareunia) is defined as persistent or recurrent genital pain that occurs just before, during or after intercourse.
Symptoms of Dyspareunia
- Pain only at sexual penetration (entry)
- Pain with every penetration, even while putting in a tampon
- New pain after previously pain-free intercourse
- Deep pain during thrusting
- Burning pain or aching pain
- Throbbing pain, lasting hours after intercourse
causes of Dyspareunia
Physical causes of pain with intercourse (dyspareunia) differ, depending on whether the pain occurs at entry or with deep thrusting. Emotional factors can be associated with many types of painful intercourse.
Other forms of Dyspareunia
*This information does not replace a provider consultation. You should schedule an appointment with your provider if you experience any of these symptoms.
*Information provided by the Mayo Clinic